A large number of our church members at Country Woods are using a resource called “DailyWay.” It’s a Bible-reading calendar plan that helps us read through the Bible together in one year’s time. (By the way, if you would like to have one of these calendars, simply contact the church office at 601.371.7955).
The reading plan right now has us reading chapters in the Old Testament book of Leviticus & the New Testament book of Hebrews. Today’s reading is in Lev. 15-16, & Heb. 5. It was amazing how these two different passages were related to one another. Check this out:
Aaron & Jesus:
- Both high priests by the plan & call of God (Heb. 5:4-6)
- One born of man, a sinner, & “subject to weakness” (Heb. 5:2); One born of God, “tempted in every way, just as we are – yet w/out sin” (4:15)
- One had to offer multiple sacrifices for himself & for the sins of the people (Lev. 16); One was the perfect sacrifice “once for all” (Heb. 10:10; 1 Peter 2:18; Rom. 6:10)
- One had to symbolically place the sins of the people on the head of the scapegoat (do this every year) (Lev 16:21); One BECAME SIN FOR US (2 Cor. 5:21) as our final Scapegoat & took our sins away forever
- One had to perform his duties annually on the Day of Atonement (Lev. 16:34); One carried out His duty on the cross HIMSELF – FOR US! IN OUR PLACE! – fully, completely, & eternally satisfying the payment due for our sins.
As the hymn writer said, “HALLELUJAH! WHAT A SAVIOR!”