“JESUS MADE IT ALL” John 1:1-5
INTRO – What do you think about when you hear the name “Jesus”?
- A little baby, wrapped in swaddling clothes & lying in a manger.
- A man who has been beaten & bruised, hanging on a cross.
- A great teacher or a great healer
- The Messiah, The Savior of the world
- The Son of God
- The Lion of the Tribe of Judah
- “He’s the Lily of the Valley, the Bright & Morning Star, the fairest of 10,000 to my soul…”
- I love the song that we sing named “Your Great Name”
- “Jesus, worthy is the lamb that was slain for us, Son of God and man, You are high and lifted up, & all the world will praise Your great name.”
Of course, all of these things about Jesus are true. They’re all biblically-based truths about Him. He is all of these things & so much more. As John 1:14 tells us, He’s the “Word made flesh & made His dwelling among us.”
These first 5 verses of the Gospel of John are INCREDIBLY important to our doctrine & theology of Jesus, “the Word.” They are full of meaning & truth. They tell us so much about who He is, what He has done, & why we must believe on Him, place our faith in Him, & worship Him alone. These verses set Him apart in a divinely unique way.
- They speak of His divinity
- They speak of His deity
- They speak of His transcendence, which means that He is above all things, He surpasses all things, & that He is not dependent upon anything or anyone in creation.
- They speak of His truth & His trustworthiness.
These verses separate Him from all other gods, & set Him apart from all other saviors. They are foundational verses in our faith system, teaching us unchangeable truths about Him. Billy Graham wrote:
“No personality in history stands above Jesus Christ. Agnostics and atheists have found fault with Christian ideas, but they can never find fault with the Person of Jesus Christ. They have found fault with Christians, but not with Christ. Jesus of Nazareth transcends methods, ideas, and followers. He stands at the turning point of time. Men everywhere must bow to His superiority. Since Christianity is Christ, those who wish to be a Christian must accept and follow Him as a Person. He and He alone is able to meet every need of the human race.” (https://billygraham.org/devotion/jesus-is-transcendent/)
There are 3 foundational truths about Jesus that I want us to focus on this morning:
JESUS IS THE ETERNAL GOD – v. 1-2 – Christian, settle in your minds & in your hearts that Jesus Christ is the eternal God, the 2nd Person of the Trinity, 100% God & 100% man. Don’t worry if you can’t completely understand that, b/c you never will this side of heaven. Establish in your heart right now that the Bible is the perfectly true Word of God, & since it says that Jesus is God, then HE IS GOD!
Baptist Faith and Message: II. God. “There is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual, and personal Being, the Creator, Redeemer, Preserver, and Ruler of the universe. God is infinite in holiness and all other perfections. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future, including the future decisions of His free creatures. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience. The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being.”
- God the Son (Baptist Faith and Message)
“Christ is the eternal Son of God…He ascended into heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God where He is the One Mediator, fully God, fully man, in whose Person is effected the reconciliation between God and man. He will return in power and glory to judge the world and to consummate His redemptive mission.”
This truth sets us apart from other world religions & cults.
- Islam – “O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not “Trinity” : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son…”
- Mormonism – Mormon leaders have taught that Jesus’ incarnation was the result of a physical relationship between God the Father and Mary (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115; Mormon Doctrine, p. 547). Mormons believe Jesus is a god, but that any human can also become a god (Doctrine and Covenants 132:20; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345–354). (http://www.gotquestions.org/Mormons.html)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses – Jehovah’s Witnesses believe Jesus is Michael the archangel, the highest created being… Jehovah’s Witnesses reject the Trinity, believing Jesus to be a created being and the Holy Spirit to essentially be the inanimate power of God. (http://www.gotquestions.org/Jehovahs-Witnesses.html). They believe that Jesus was only a perfect man, but not God.
- Even Roman Catholicism – Exalts Mary to the level of being a co-redeemer w/ Jesus Christ. John MacArthur spoke on this heresy & shares that Catholic doctrine teaches that “[Mary] became a co-redeemer with Christ in His suffering on the cross, and is now a co-mediator alongside Him in heaven—essentially an alternative avenue of access to God. She replaces the Holy Spirit in bestowing aid and comfort to believers. In effect, she becomes an additional member of the Trinity.” (http://www.gty.org/blog/B130227/exposing-the-heresies-of-the-catholic-church-mary-worship)
None of these beliefs are true, not Islam, not Mormons, not JW’s, not Catholics. There is only 1 God & Savior Jesus Christ. When He came to earth, He came to show us who God is & what God is like – that He is eternal, that He is personal, that He is powerful, that He is perfect, & that He is personable, approachable, & knowable. The words & deeds of Jesus throughout His earthly ministry were the very words & deeds of God.
JESUS IS THE MAKER OF ALL THINGS – v. 3 – Do you ever think about Jesus being the Creator of all things? He is. Jesus made it all.
- Colossians 1:16 – “For by Him all things were created: things in heaven & on earth, visible & invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him & for Him.”
Just as God the Father has existed before all time, so Jesus has existed before all time. And as such, Jesus was present & active in the creation of all things. One commentator said it this way: “Jesus was the source of power in the original physical creation and in the spiritual creation by which people are brought to new life in Christ.”
We need to expand & deepen our understanding & appreciation for who Jesus is & what He has done. He’s not some 90-lb. weakling who got sand kicked in His face. No, He’s the Creator who, along w/ the Father & the Spirit, spoke the universe into existence & flung the galaxies into their place in the cosmos. When God said, “Let US make man in OUR image,” He’s wasn’t talking about the angels. He was talking about the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit. Russell M. Grigg of Creation Ministries International: “Jesus Christ is the Creator God. Not only does Scripture affirm it, but during His earthly life and ministry He did the very things we would expect the Creator God to do. He did them in the way that we would expect the Creator God to do them—by His word of authority and the exercise of His will. And the doing of them displayed His glory.” (http://creation.com/is-jesus-christ-the-creator-god)
JESUS IS THE LIGHT & LIFE – v. 4-5 – As the eternal God & as the Creator God, Jesus not only made light & life, He IS light & life.
Sin brings darkness.
- The darkness of despair – The word despair means “loss of hope.” So many in our world today have no hope. You may be in the darkness of despair right now.
- The darkness of doubt – Our beliefs are being bombarded constantly these days. Christianity is under attack in ways most of us have never seen before. The result is that many people are wandering in a dark place of doubt.
- The darkness of disaster – The direction of so many people’s lives is headed toward disaster. And this disaster is not the result of a storm or floods or fire, but the result of sin as tons of people turn their backs on God.
- The darkness of death – Sin brings death. Death is separation. Physical death occurs when our soul is separated from our body. But a million times worse than physical death is spiritual death, which occurs when our soul is separated from God.
But into the darkness shines the light of Jesus. And His light brings life! This is one of the main messages of John’s Gospel. And it’s the message that we must shout from the rooftops!
- John 3:16
- John 3:36
- John 4:14
- John 5:24
- John 6:35
- John 6:47
- John 10:10
- John 10:28
- John 11:25-26
- John 14:6
- John 20:30-31
OUR ONLY RESPONSE TO JESUS – THE ETERNAL GOD, THE MAKER OF ALL, & THE LIGHT & LIFE?
 Gangel, K. O. (2000). John (Vol. 4, p. 8). Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers.