“YOU HAVE AN ANOINTING!” 1 John 2:18-27
INTRO – When you think of anointing something, what comes to mind? If you’ve been around CWBC, you probably think about us anointing w/ oil when we are praying for someone who is sick. Why do this? We simply do it b/c the Bible instructs us in James 5:14 to do so. Don’t do it every time. Don’t have to. Nothing magical or mysterious about the oil. It may represent the healing power of God. Or it may refer to the medicinal qualities found in the oil. That’s not the point. The power is not in the oil, but in the obedience & in the prayer offered in faith, trusting God to do whatever glorifies Him the most in the sick person’s life, whether that’s physical healing in this life, or everlasting healing in heaven.
John says that WE have an anointing. What does he mean by that? Why is that important? What difference does it make in our lives today?
THE PEOPLE THAT OPPOSE US – v. 18-19 – I read about a reporter who was interviewing an elderly man on his 100th birthday. “What are you most proud of?” he asked. “Well, ” said the man, “I don’t have an enemy in the world.” “What a beautiful thought! How inspirational!” said the reporter. “Yep,” added the old man, “outlived every last one of them.”
All of us are going to encounter some enemies throughout our life, some people who oppose us, especially if we are truly striving to live for the Lord. Chuck Swindoll: “When you enter the Christian life, you enter a battleground, not a playground.” There are a couple of things we know about opposition:
First, the Bible makes it clear that there will be opposition to Jesus Christ, the Gospel, & the followers of Christ. It’s always been that way, & will continue until Christ returns. Shouldn’t surprise us. In fact, it ought to encourage us & embolden us b/c the increase in opposition to the Gospel is just more indication that we are getting closer & closer to the triumphant return of Christ!
- 2 Tim. 3:1-5 – “You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times.For people will love only themselves & their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, & ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving & unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel & hate what is good. They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, & love pleasure rather than God. They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!” (NLT)
- 2 Tim. 4:3-4 – “For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires & will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.They will reject the truth and chase after myths.” (NLT)
Another thing that we know about opposition is that the root of the opposition does not come from the actual people who are opposing us, but from our true enemy, Satan. We know that he uses people & we have to deal w/ those people, but our real struggle is not against them, but against him.
- Eph. 6:12 – “For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers & authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, & against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” (NLT)
But John gives us the face of the opposition in these verses in ch. 2. It’s the face of the “antichrists” – antichristos. Real people who really oppose Christ & all who are His followers. There will be one who will be THE Antichrist as John says there in v. 18 that “Antichrist is coming.” Several translations say, “THE Antichrist,” & some capitalize “Antichrist” b/c it refers to a specific person who is talked about in biblical prophecy. Paul said in 2 Thess. 2:3-4 – “Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.” This is the false prophet & evil being who will arise & set himself up against Christ & the people of God in the last days before the Second Coming.
But John also said that there would also be “many antichrists,” false teachers who deny the deity & humanity of Christ. They were active back then & they are active in our day, forerunners to the supreme Antichrist who will come. They’re kind of like the artillery bombardments of an army that softens up the enemy forces in preparation for the main attack that will come.
“But, Jon, do we really have false teachers in our day?” Absolutely! Tim Challies wrote an article about modern-day false teachers in which he delineated 7 examples of modern false teachers (https://www.challies.com/articles/7-false-teachers-in-the-church-today/):
- The Heretic – Blatantly teaches what is contrary to Word – Mormons, JW’s, Oneness Pentecostals, liberal scholars who deny Virgin Birth or the resurrection of Jesus.
- The Charlatan – Uses Christianity as a means for personal gain & profit. Many televangelists like Robert Tilton, Benny Hinn, & Creflo Dollar.
- The Prophet – Espouses views & ideas that are outside the finished canon of Scripture – claim to have a “fresh revelation from the Lord.”
- The Abuser – Uses place of power & authority to take advantage of others. Many times, the abuser will use his position of authority to fulfill his/her sexual lust.
- The Divider – Uses false doctrine to divide & split churches. Had a man pridefully tell me once, “I split one church. I can split this one wide open.”
- The Ear-Tickler – Doesn’t care what God wants, but is only motivated by what man wants. A man-pleaser rather than a God-pleaser. Preaches a partial Gospel – lots of preaching about heaven, but little hell. Lots of happiness, but little of sin & suffering.
- The Speculator – Caught up in wild predictions, forecasting, & speculations. Heb. 13:9 – “Don’t be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings.” Lots of prophetic forecasting & date-setting.
How do we deal w/ these enemies of our faith, these antichrists who oppose us?
THE POWER THAT IS IN US – v. 20-21, 27 – I’ve told you before that Daddy used to always say to us boys, “Son, remember who you are.” Today, I want you to remember who you are, & also to remember what you have! And what do we have? WE HAVE AN ANOINTING! And that is the power that is in us!
God has promised that He will provide everything we need to be able to stand strong against the attacks that come against us, no matter where or who they come from. He provides for us by anointing us. And this anointing is the Holy Spirit who comes into us at the very moment we give our lives to Christ. This anointing confirms that we have been consecrated & dedicated to the Lord. Just as the OT priests were anointed to consecrate them & set them aside to serve the Lord, so you & I have been anointed by the Holy Spirit to consecrate us to the Lord.
3 things that this Holy Spirit anointing does for EVERY Christ-follower:
- Envelops you w/ protection – We receive the armor of God.
- Empowers you w/ strength – Eph. 6:10 – “Be strong in the Lord & in His mighty power.” That strength & power comes from the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
- Emboldens you w/ faith – Rom. 10:17 – “Faith comes by hearing & hearing by the word of God.”
If you are a Christ-follower, this is YOUR anointing! This is what YOU already have! This isn’t some special thing for the “super Christians” who have discovered some mysterious thing that us “normal” Christians don’t know about. This is what you have & who you are RIGHT NOW as a child of God! Victory over our enemies is won when we know who we are in Christ, when we stand on His truth, & when we walk & live in His anointing on our lives!
THE PROMISES THAT ARE FOR US – v. 24-25
- Abiding in the Son & the Father – Has a present-day application
- Eternal life – Has a future orientation
- W. B. Hinson, a great Baptist preacher in the early 1900’s. Just before he died, he said, “I remember a year ago when a doctor told me, ‘You have an illness from which you won’t recover.’ I walked out to where I live 5 miles from Portland, Oregon, and I looked across at that mountain that I love. I looked at the river in which I rejoice, and I looked at the stately trees that are always God’s own poetry to my soul. Then in the evening I looked up into the great sky where God was lighting His lamps, and I said, ‘ I may not see you many more times, but Mountain, I shall be alive when you are gone; and River, I shall be alive when you cease running toward the sea; and Stars, I shall be alive when you have fallen from your sockets in the great down pulling of the material universe!'”
CONCLUSION – Your anointing from God is the Holy Spirit. He makes it possible for you to stand in the face of your enemies. He reveals the truth of God to you. He gives you everything you need to live a God-honoring life. He gives you eternal life. Do you KNOW that YOU are anointed? Are you living IN your anointing today?