“AND WE KNOW…”
CWBC – 5/6/18
INTRO – Good morning, everyone! I’m so glad that we can be together today to worship our Lord Jesus Christ!
Wanted to begin series for women today. Probably ought to entitle series, “I Have No Idea What I’m Talking About!” But I was drawn this week to this verse, my favorite verse in the Bible, Rom. 8:28. Applies to ALL of us, both men & women. And when I read back through the many responses I got to my text several weeks ago to the women of church, asking them what they would like to hear in a sermon series directed to them, I realized that we ought to start w/ this foundational verse, b/c it will undergird EVERY need that you women have in EVERY area of your life that you put in those texts – self-image, marriage, kids, security, future plans, dealing w/ worry & anxiety, the comparison battle, priorities, crazy schedules, etc. So, ladies, we begin this series today for you by laying this foundation for your faith found in Romans 8:28. I know some of the things facing the 3 main ladies in my life, & Rom. 8:28 speaks to everything they’re facing. I know some of the things that some of you other ladies are facing, & Rom. 8:28 speaks to everything YOU are facing. There are some of you that I have NO idea what you are facing. But I can PROMISE you that Rom. 8:28 speaks to everything YOU are facing, too.
How many of you have ever been in a place or a situation in your life where you couldn’t see any way out of it? You may be in that kind of place right now.
- A bad job situation
- NO job situation
- A scary health situation
- A difficult family situation (REFRESH prayer needs this past Wednesday night were HEAVY w/ family issues!)
- An anxious financial situation
- A life-altering decision situation
- A situation caused by your sin
- An uncomfortable friendship situation
We’ve all been there at different times in our lives, &, if we live much longer, we will be in some of those situations again.
Craig Reid story – Died in car wreck. Horrible tragedy for that family, for our church, & for that community. But since that day, March 1, 2007, the Lord has allowed me to tell Craig’s story many times, calling God’s people to a deeper walk w/ Him, & calling lost people to faith in Christ.
Open your Bibles or your Bible app to Romans 8:28. I’m going to read it from a few different translations.
- ESV – “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”
- NASB – “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His”
- AMP – “And we know [with great confidence] that God [who is deeply concerned about us] causes all things to work together [as a plan] for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to His plan and purpose.”
- PHILLIPS – “Moreover we know that to those who love God, who are called according to his plan, everything that happens fits into a pattern for good.”
EXPLANATION – You probably know that the book of Romans is where we get the majority of our doctrine & theology in the NT. Martin Luther said, “This letter is truly the most important piece in the NT. It is well worth a Christian’s while not only to memorize it word for word but also to occupy himself with it daily, as though it were the daily bread of the soul. It is impossible to read or to meditate on this letter too much or too well.”
This book was written by the Apostle Paul at the end of his 3rd missionary tour. He stopped on the outskirts of the city of Corinth to take a much-needed break from his work & travels. Spent 3 months in the villa of a friend named Gaius. Sometime around AD 56, he wrote the book of Romans. His purpose in writing this book was to outline & compose a written systematic presentation of the doctrine of justification by faith. He did this so that, in case his enemies caught up to him & killed him, there would be a written explanation of the Gospel that could be spread around to the first century churches where it could be preached & preserved for ages to come.
Smack dab in the middle of this book towers this life-changing, life-altering, faith-emboldening verse, Romans 8:28. As Robert Morgan wrote, “Romans 8:28 is the basis for true optimism.” (The Promise, p. 29). Why? He writes this:
“When you look behind the curtain of Rom. 8:28, you see the machinery of Trinitarian involvement. The whole Godhead is involved in this – Father, Son, & Holy Ghost. It is a promise signed & sealed by each member of the Trinity.
- God the Son guarantees Rom. 8:28 by His blood purchase of justification. It’s part of His glorious redemption. Precisely as He redeems our souls from death, He redeems our sin, mistakes, situations, & sufferings for our good.
- God the Spirit guarantees Rom. 8:28 by His earnest prayers on our behalf as He fervently intercedes for us w/ omniscient wisdom & according to the Father’s will.
- God the Father guarantees Rom. 8:28 by His omnipotent providence that rules & overrules every situation in our lives. Responding to the blood of Jesus & the prayers of the Spirit, He providentially works all things for our benefit & His glory.
And THAT’S why Rom. 8:28 is the basis for true optimism.”
The truth of Romans 8:28 will carry you through anything & everything you will ever face in your life – PERIOD!
“In Christ, we have an ironclad, unfailing, all-encompassing, God-given guarantee that every single circumstance in life will sooner or later turn out well for those committed to Him.” (Rob Morgan)
There’s that one word there in this verse that bring such a sense of peace, comfort, & assurance, & that’s the word “All.” “All means all, & all that all means!”
- No exceptions
This one verse will radically transform the way you view ALL of the circumstances of your life!
Let’s take the word “all” & apply it to the truths of this verse:
A – ABSOLUTE: IT’S AN ABSOLUTE
In a world that shuns & ridicules those of us who believe in the absolutes of God’s Word, this verse is a refreshing breeze blowing through our hearts.
- Not some magical formula
- Not a spiritual panacea that makes all of our problems disappear
- Not a religious rabbit’s foot we rub for good luck
The truth is that you ARE going to have problems in this world – LOTS of them. Going to come in every imaginable & unimaginable way.
- Families getting ripped apart
- Death invades all of our lives
- Financial struggles & anxieties affect all of us
- World is going crazy in every place
- No one immune
- Want to go somewhere & disappear sometimes & make it all go away. But that ain’t going to happen.
Hate to bust your bubble about something: Folks say, “Well, God is not going to put more on you than you can stand.” WRONG! The verse that they pull that from is 1 Cor. 10:13. That verse doesn’t mean that we won’t be overwhelmed with trouble. It means that God won’t allow us to get into tempting situations where there is no way out. He will always provide us with the power to withstand temptation.
“With temptation, we have a choice, but with suffering we often don’t have a choice.” (www.relevantmagazine.com/god/yes-god-will-give-you-more-you-can-handle#oQYVGZbwmH2ZWzGi.99)
But when it comes to the tough times in life, He will absolutely let us get in way over our heads so that we will realize that we cannot make it & we must rely on Him!
That’s when the absolute truth of Rom 8:28 erupts from the pages of Scripture & crashes into our circumstances! It’s true no matter what we are facing, or what we are dealing with RIGHT NOW & ALWAYS! It is an absolute that will not change no matter what. Nail it down into the center of your soul & go to it every time you need it.
B/c it’s an absolute, the Scriptures that say, “Do not worry” & “Don’t be anxious” & “Fret not” & “Fear not” & “Rejoice always” & “Consider it joy when you encounter trials of various kinds” are all true! Why? Because of the absolute truth that ALL things work together for good to those who love God & are called according to His purpose.
L – LIFE: IT TOUCHES OUR ENTIRE LIFE
Think of the most joyful thing you’ve ever experienced in your life – What comes to mind?
Think of the most difficult thing you’ve ever experienced in your life – What comes to mind?
Rom. 8:28 touches every one of those things that you named. As Rob Morgan wrote, “Rom. 8:28 is all-inclusive, all-powerful, & always available…It isn’t a mere platitude but a divine promise.” (p. 3-4)
- Don Bozeman – Southside Baptist Church – diagnosed with primary pulmonary hypertension in his late 40’s & passed away at 50 yrs. of age. At his funeral, Bro. Don’s best friend, Gary Bowlin preached the funeral message. At Bro Don’s request, Gary preached a Gospel message & gave an invitation. Bro. Don’s niece gave her life to Christ. Interestingly, she then passed away shortly thereafter in her late 20’s.
You will never wear it out no matter how many times you quote it & apply it & stand on it in your life. In fact, that’s EXACTLY what God wants us to do with it.
L – LOVE: IT’S B/C GOD LOVES US & WANTS THE VERY BEST FOR US
Rom. 8:28 isn’t some cheap promise. In order for it to be true, Jesus had to suffer & die & rise again. He showed us the truth of Rom. 8:28 in the most amazingly loving way ever. He suffered immensely & died to redeem us & set us free from our sins. And that redemption spills over into every corner of our lives.
God showed us how much He loved us by sending Jesus to pay the price for our sins. He wants to have a relationship with everyone & proved that by giving His only Son. In fact, Rom. 8 is the chapter that teaches us the truth of the victory that is ours through Jesus by the Holy Spirit who lives in each of us. If our God loves us that much, then He certainly can be trusted to continue showing His love to us through Rom. 8:28.
Let’s break this verse down as we close:
It’s the knowledge this verse gives us – “We know” – We don’t have to doubt or wonder or be uncertain. We KNOW!
It’s the God this verse talks about – “that God causes” – He is the Sovereign God over all the universe. He is in control of everything.
It’s the circumstances this verse touches – “all things” – Back to ALL MEANS ALL! Take it to bank! THIS VERSE APPLIES TO WHATEVER IS WEIGHING HEAVIEST ON YOUR HEART RIGHT NOW!
It’s the process this verse shows us – “work together” – We many not be able to see how the different pieces of the puzzle are coming together, but when God is the one at work, we can trust that they will be in the right place in the right time according to His perfect will & purpose.
It’s the end result this verse assures us – “for good” – Puritan Thomas Watson wrote: “To know that nothing hurts the godly is a matter of comfort; but to be assured that ALL things which fall out shall cooperate for their good, that their crosses shall be turned into blessings…this may fill their hearts with joy until they run over.”
It’s the people this verse applies to – “to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” – Robert Morgan said this about these 2 phrases:
- “Loving God is the ultimate purpose of the soul.”
- “All things DO work together for good – that’s God’s promise. But why & to what end? Not merely for our happiness but for His honor – that Christ might be seen & glorified in us.”
CONCLUSION – What thing falls under “ALL THINGS” in your life? What’s most pressing in your life right now?
- Keeps you awake at night
- Causes a knot in your stomach, maybe even right now
- Brings you to the point of tears sometimes
Let’s take that thing to Him today! Come to this altar right now w/ that thing & take it to Him!
The truth of Romans 8:28 will carry you through anything & everything you will ever face in your life – PERIOD!