CWBC – 9/2/18
INTRO – Read these verses w/ me:
- 23rd Psalm
- Philippians 4:13
- Romans 8:28
- Proverbs 3:5-6
- Matthew 6:33
Max Lucado interview: “What is it about that verse that has made it so beloved for so long?
Lucado: I think it’s simple: hope. We need hope. There’s nothing worse than to live a life of despair. For a person to have no hope just sucks the blue out of every sky. John 3:16 is a passage that articulates that hope real simply – the book of Romans articulates the hope, the story of Abraham articulates the hope. If you just want one sentence, a simple description: God loves, God gave, we believe, we live. There it is.”
DAYS OF HOPE – We are attempting to share the HOPE of Jesus w/ our community in a powerful way, possibly in the most significant way we ever have as a church. People need hope. Such despair in our world. Such discouragement. Such depravity. Such desperation. And the only answer is found in Jesus & the hope that He alone can bring to a person’s life.
One of the reasons that I think it’s so important for you & me to go on mission trips outside of our small, normal, limited Bible Belt world is that is helps us see that reality of the lostness of our world. Lima, Peru – city of 10 million people. Such a heaviness there. Such darkness. I am reminded of the reality of heaven & hell, & how John 3:16 is the only answer for our world.
Hundreds & hundreds of sermons preached on this verse. I, myself, have probably preached on it 25-30 times. Believe it’s important to do that at least once a year. Bring us back to the foundational reality of why we do what we do – our motivation.
3 simple points for this verse:
- The PURPOSE of this verse
- The PROMISE of our God
- The POTENTIAL for our lives
THE PURPOSE OF THIS VERSE:
TO TELL US ABOUT THE LOVE OF GOD
TO TELL US ABOUT THE GIFT OF GOD
- Unmerited – Eph. 2:8-9
- Free – “the free gift of God”
TO TELL US WHO CAN BE SAVED
- Anyone, anywhere, at anytime
- Witnessing to people in Peru
- Carlos in San Ramon
- Tammie – witnessing to a person who had spent week in the jungle w/ a shaman
- Ellie – led 2 JW’s to Christ
- YOU can be saved today!
TO TELL US HOW TO BE SAVED
- BELIEVE – “Oh, I’ve always believed in God. I’ve always believed in Jesus.”
- “believe” – to entrust; to put faith in; to trust
- That’s it! Believe that what God said He would do, He has done. When you believe His Word & you call out to Him, He saves you. It just seems too good to be true for some many people. They think that there’s got to be more to it than that. Surely, I’ve got to do something else. Nope! You get saved by believing in Jesus – PERIOD! It’s not “believe AND be a good person” – “…AND go to church” – “…AND get baptized…” It’s believe in Jesus & you will be saved! The other stuff comes as you begin to grow in your relationship w/ Jesus – the fruit of your life. And fruit grows at different rates for different people.
- 1 John 5:11-13 – “And this is the testimony that God gave us eternal life, & this life is in His Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you have know that you have eternal life.”
THE PROMISE OF OUR GOD:
One promise in this verse: the promise of ETERNAL LIFE
If we will believe, He will save us forever.
Saved & secure forever – Eternal life is not eternal life if we can lose it.
THE POTENTIAL OF OUR LIVES:
PERFECT FREEDOM – “Libre Soy” – “I am free!”
PERFECT TOOL FOR WITNESSING – How many of you have this verse memorized? Then don’t tell me that you don’t know how to witness.
- Tillie Burgin – “Just hover around John 3:16.”
- Don’t overcomplicate it. Just share the truth of John 3:16.